Country Mouse Meets City Mouse







So last weekend was a big adventure for me. I went to NYC on my own for a bridal shower and had the chance to meet and hang out with an on-line friend, Magaly Guerrero. On-line stuff friendships can be strange. I've compared it to falling down the rabbit hole into Wonderland, where the only thing you can be certain of is that things will be quite odd! But I've had a lot of luck when I've met on-line friends in real life, and meeting Magaly was no exception. We hit it off like a pair of giddy teens, messing with our hair, staying up late and going anyplace NYC's subway system could take us.

Although I grew up in New Jersey, my parents had a fear loathing of the city, so most of my experience with is was when I went to the museum or theater as part of school field trips. There was one time near the end of college I went with friends to the Village (though that was the first time I ever tried Indian food...mmmmmmm), but that was much less involved than last weekend's explorations! Magaly was a fabulous hostess and tour guide, so while I can't say I fully got over the sensory overload aspect of visiting (Times Square...so many flashing lights), I'm a bit less intimidated by the city in general.

It was a valuable experience, in that I got to see stuff I rarely ever got to see back in my sleepy suburb, both good and bad. Its the contrasts that really struck me, like hearing some fun music from one of the many street performers and then seeing someone snort drugs right in front of me on the subway. There were the appetizing aromas of the food in Chinatown and then the much less delightful smells that came from the Hudson and some of our fellow subway passengers. It's one thing to hear about a place, and another to jump in with two feet and really experience it! I'm pretty sure some of the details of the trip are going to rattle around in my head and come out as flavor text in a story or two.

While I wish I could have spent a bit more time experiencing the Big Apple (LOL, can I reserve a spot on the futon for later this year Magaly?), I was dead tired by the time I dragged my butt back on the train for home. And I think when all is said and done, I'm a PA girl. I love the city near me, Philadelphia. I love the hills of home. There's something about this area that just feels like it's part of me. Maybe I'll change my mind when I get older, and there's always the chance the weather will drive me insane someday, but here, where I'm typing this blog post and looking at the view from my back door, is where I've put down my roots. And I think I'd like to live out the rest of my days here.

But I still want to visit Japan someday. Just sayin'



8 comments:

  1. How wonderful to have met the Wicked Darling Magaly in person! Sounds like you girls had a fab time. I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! LOL, it was like finding a long lost cousin. I still need to get her chicken recipe *cough* Magaly *cough*

      Delete
  2. You mean she's real??? Magaly??? Hell's bells LOL, I bet you were like Alice down that hole, just after she took the potion, very surreal when worlds collide :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shock waves of our twin curls meeting up at the same time and place will be felt all over the multiverse! LOL

      Delete
  3. My Piano Man and I continue to be amazed about the woman doing drugs in the train. We've both lived in NYC for my than a couple of decades (in his case, consecutively) and we never saw that. I swear NYC was trying to impress you (or scare the living gods out of you).

    It was so wonderful to have you, Rommy. You need to come in the summer, then we can conquer the parks, museums and all the ethnic restaurants :-D

    Oh, and I promise to share the recipe for the chicken and a few other things *cough, cough, cough*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to return the favor and visit my little corner of the world. A hike through the local nature center is a must! Bring shoes you don't mind getting wet.

      Delete
  4. Photos! Photos! But thank you for taking us along! I can see the two of you had a wild ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I should have added some! Magaly took a ton. I was still figuring out my new cell phone.

      Delete